Monday, November 26, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I refuse to make another Thanksgiving leftover dinner, especially since our only leftover now is turkey.  Tonight we finished the mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, cornbread casserole and any other containers I found in the refrigerator.

I remembered Nadine had a recipe that I made before for a chicken pot pie with curry and this is going to be the fate of the remaining turkey.  I will probably make some changes since I know I won't make the crusts but for now here is the recipe so I won't lose it.



Hackman Favorite Chicken Pot Pie

This is an adaptation from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American by Jeff Smith.

Ingredients:
1-2 pounds cooked chicken breast (I just simmer the chicken in unseasoned water until cooked.)

1 box Pillsbury Pie Crusts (We like a crust on the bottom as well as the top, or else use just use one crust on top.)
1 large onion in large dice
5 - 8 carrots, peeled and sliced (I love cooked carrots.)
1 can chicken broth

1/3 cup each butter and flour cooked together to form a roux

2 teaspoons curry powder or to taste
2 teaspoons dried dill or to taste

Preheat oven to 350º. While the chicken is cooking I dice the onion and slice the carrots so they can microwave while I work on the rest of the preparation. In a large glass bowl, covered with plastic wrap, no water added, I microwave the veggies on high for 4 minutes, stir, then microwave for an additional 4 minutes. Veggies need to be soft, because they really don't cook further in the oven.

To make the roux put the flour and butter in a pot over medium heat, and stir until you end up with a thick paste. With a whisk, add the chicken broth and stir until you have a thick sauce. Add the curry powder and dill to taste and to get a nice golden yellow colored sauce.

Mix the cooked veggies and gravy with the cooked chicken, and pour mixture into a casserole dish, with a crust on the bottom, or not. Place crust on top of mixture and seal edges if you've used two crusts. Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape, and bake for about 30 minutes or until top crust is golden brown.






1 comment:

Em said...

This is one of my favorite childhood dishes!!! Do pie crust on top and bottom, that's what we always fought over :)